To uphold the Rule of Law in implementing the National Finance Policy
To ensure that the legal advices and legal services provided are in accordance with the National Finance Policy which is based on the Constitution and Laws of Malaysia as well as Principles of Law
To provide legal advisory services to the Ministry of Finance, departments and agencies of the Ministry in accordance to the provisions of the Federal Constitution, Constitution of the States as well as other laws, Government policy and public interest.
- Advising on the interpretation of laws, terms of contracts, terms of agreements and other legal documents under the jurisdiction of the Ministry
- Drafting and vetting of laws and legal documents such as loan agreements, procurement contracts and guarantees.
- Participating in negotiations in avoidance of double taxation agreements.
- Conduct of civil litigation on matters relating to the Treasury and Ministry of Finance in general and in particular housing loans
- To provide a quality written legal opinion within fourteen (14) working days from the date of receipt of completed documents and information;
- Draft and/ or vet principal legislation before submitting to the Attorney General Chambers for approval within ninety (90) working days provided that financial issues and policy have been settled;
- Draft and/ or vet subsidiary legislation before submitting to the Attorney General Chambers for approval within fourteen (14) working days provided that financial issues and policy have been settled;
- Draft and vet an agreement and other legal documents within fourteen (14) working days from the date of receipt of completed documents and information provided that financial issues and policy have been finalized. Whereas it takes within thirty (30) working days for an agreement and legal documents which are more complex;
- Take orders and conduct proceeding of civil suit on behalf of or against the Government of Malaysia with the assurance the preliminary action would be taken within the period not exceeding of 10 weeks from the date of receipt of issuance.