YBHG TAN SRI DR MOHD IRWAN SERIGAR ABDULLAH
Secretary General To Treasury
GLOBAL OFFSET & COUNTER TRADE ASSOCIATION (GOCA) ASIA PACIFIC CONFERENCE (APAC) 2017
28 March 2017 | PICC, Putrajaya
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh and Salam 1Malaysia.
YBhg Dato’ Sri Abdul Rahim Bin Mohamad Radzi
Secretary-General to MINDEF
YBhg. Datuk Seri Haji Saripuddin Bin Haji Kassim
Secretary-General to MOT
YBhg Datuk Seri Hashmuddin Bin Mohammad
Deputy Secretary General to Treasury
Mr Cory Victor
Chair of the GOCA Secretariat
Senior Government Officials
Participants of GOCA 2017
Members of the Media
Ladies and Gentlemen
1. Good evening to all of you. I am pleased to be here for the Gala Dinner and Closing Ceremony of Global Offset & Countertrade Assiciation (GOCA) Asia Pacific 2017.
2. Firstly, I would like to welcome all of you to Putrajaya, the administrative capital of Malaysia. For the past few days, I am sure that all of you had a good stay and experience here with Malaysian hospitality. To local delegations, I hope that all you had a good exposure and experience on ICP with our foreign counterparts. This evening, we have come to the end of the conference marked by this special gala dinner in appreciation of your participation and commitment in making the event a successful and memorable one.
3. I am certain that the conference which has ended has provided us with lots of information and inputs that have been shared by our distinguished speakers. I hope with that you will reap benefits from this conference especially in increasing youur knowledge about global offset best-practices and implementations.
Distinguished guests, Ladies & Gentlemen
4. Malaysia’s implementation of countertrade and offset started way back in the 1980’s. Through rapid changes, I believe currently Malaysian way of doing offset is one of the most systematic approach and could be shared with other countries. Therefore I hope the development of ICP within the region will also flourish while MOF and TDA will be the key references for our counterparts.
5. As we could see, the theme of this conference is “ICP: Tools for Knowledge Based Economy & Industrial Development”. To date, the ICP obligation value in Malaysia is about USD17.5 billion triggered from various Government procurement (defense and non-defense) up to year 2021. This number will increase from time to time based on procurement programs by the Government in the future.
6. As a business-friendly government, Malaysia is always being very supportive and consistent in promoting measures that can mutually benefit both the government and business sector whereby ICP policy is one of those measures.
Ladies & Gentlemen,
7. The Malaysian government is keen to understand the issues faced by the industry in the aspect of ICP implementation. Therefore, I sincerely hope that GOCA APAC 2017 had gathered sufficient information to enable us further improvise our ICP policy and facilitate its implementation. This is also appropriate and in line with our vision to transform Malaysia into an advanced high income economy.
8. Lastly, congratulations to The Government Procurement Division, Ministry of Finance, Technology Depository Agency (TDA) and GOCA Secretariat for successfully organizing the Global Offset & Countertrade Association (GOCA) Asia Pacific 2017 Kuala Lumpur.
9. I also would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere appreciation to every stakeholders be it from the Government or the industry that are present in this conference and making it a successful one.
WabillahiTaufik Walhidayah Wassalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.