SIARAN MEDIA / MEDIA RELEASE
FINANCE MINISTER OF MALAYSIA
31 MEI 2018
TABUNG HARAPAN MALAYSIA
1. The Finance Ministry is humbled by the magnanimity of Malaysians who have been channelling non-stop funds to the newly created Tabung Harapan, aimed to assist the Federal Government to repay the nation's staggering debt sum.
2. Truly, Malaysians have taken their patriotism to a greater height, willing to part with their allowances and spare cash to help rebuild this nation we all love.
3. Malaysians, especially the likes of a young activist and law graduate Ms Shazarina Bakti, have continued to take their role in nation building seriously, and have not shown any signs of slowing down after the May 9 victory at the ballot boxes.
4. Ms Shazarina, who has initiated a fundraising page to crowdfund towards reducing the nation’s debt one week before Tabung Harapan Malaysia was officially launched, has so far raised RM13,476.57 and for that, I applaud her effort in rallying Malaysians from all walks of life to contribute to the cause.
5. It is precisely this spirit of hope and unity which would also fuel the Pakatan Harapan government, in moving forward to fulfill all of its manifesto pledges for the people.
6. I am also pleased to announce that as of 3pm Thursday (May 31), Tabung Harapan Malaysia has so far collected RM7,075,508.79 less than 24 hours the fund was launched by the Government. This is truly a remarkable feat.
7. As this involves funds donated by the rakyat, the Government is committed to being transparent with every sen received. Therefore, the amount collected will be updated daily on Ministry of Finance’s website and on its social media platforms.
8. For tax deduction purposes, Malaysians who donated to this fund are also advised to keep their receipt of their transaction as stated under Subsection 44(6) Income Tax Act 1967.